Sunday, June 20, 2010

15 miles in our pockets

from hiking Mt. Wilson (and the road to our car and the stairs up to the Observatory telescope..ahahahah)!!!

HAHAHA! Elizabeth, her bro Michael, Andrew, Tori, and I ambitiously decided to hike Mt. Wilson via Chantry Flats in the San Gabriel Mountains... I wish I could give you all the stats of the elevation gain and the times and all that cool stuff, but I can't.. i am not sure.. but let me tell you that the last 3 miles were steep steep steep.. I feel like we gained a bizillion ft elevation and I almost don't want to research it only to find that it was 1,000 or so... it seemed like a lot is where I'll leave that. :)

We left our house a bit before 7 am I believe, but piddled a bit and started hiking about 8:15 am.. we had a bit of confusion regarding the hike even before we hit the trail due to seeing a cat on a leash... what does this mean? cats.... wilderness... harnesses? The hike was SO beautiful though.. we were in a shaded valley/tree canopy area most of the time which was lush and beautiful.. and then we emerged and realized how high up we were. The way we hiked around the side of Mt. Wilson, we couldn't see the mountain until we were near the top, so it made for bizarre perspective. And did I say it was steep? I had to rest a lot of the last section, and it made me almost want to begin working out a few times a week so that I could conquer more mountains. I loved the whole day though and loved the people I went with and just had great, great time!
















1 comment:

Mandy said...

Rach would be proud to see that you were cureing breast cancer whilst hiking - quite an impressive multi tasker you are!!!