Such a long summer, many activities, and here are some moments that stick out to me as of late for the Mission trip I was on in Central/Eastern Europe:
1. On the way to Slovakia we flew into Heathrow, London for a layover and this was my first time seeing London. It was a clear day and I was so excited. I would LOVE to explore this city and countryside.
2. The beauty and history of Krakow, Poland. Walked the cobblestone streets, toured St. Mary's Cathedral and Wawel Castle, walked the green loop park around the Old Quarter (and got lost), relaxed while eating on outdoor patios, explored a hostel, ate gellato
3. Tour of Auschwitz and Auschwitz II- Birkenau Termination camps during WW2. Utterly disgusting learning of more than 1.5 million lives lost and how devalued life was, the evil in this world, how this was really a recent event. Something that was really powerful was seeing a large room filed with people's hair that was cut off prior to being exterminated for use in textiles- how much hair there was and how devalued lives were. Ugh- still gets me.
4. The students we taught English as a foreign language to in Slovakia for 2 weeks. They were great, put a lot of effort into learning, funny, kind, and plain enjoyable. Only had a slightly embarrassing moment at the wrap-up program as my student sang a Sloak love song semi to me.. and of course I didn't know it... ahh
5. Learning at the Bible School in Martin and the vision for it of providing biblical education, spiritual formation, growing up leaders, etc. in this crucial time after years of communism in the country. God has done awesome things so far with this ministry.
6. Hiking in the High Tatra mountains!
7. Learning from people there about a slower paced lifestyle, and experiencing amazing hospitality in which their love and care for others was evident. Made me evaluate how I show care for others.
8. Got to see a lot of small, beautiful villages with old churches, sheep farms- thinking about how we are compared to sheep in the Bible. Sheep that really are dumb and stray away and need a shepherd.
9. Eating sheep cheese, drinking the whey (EW!), eating halusky- a traditional Sloak food.
10. Drinking tiny, non-refillable cups of coffee that come with a small glass of water to give back the fluid you lost while drinking the dehydrating coffee.
11. Exploring Martin, Slovakia by walking all around it and jogging in the rain. It rained a lot!
12. Fresh, fresh bread from a bakery in a nearby village of Martin where a family from the Bible School is building a house.

13. Touring Vienna, Austria in the rain for an afternoon/evening before flying back. I couldn't believe it. Every corner we turned, there were more beautiful, ornate buildings with more history to them than I could ever learn. I felt honored to be able to be there. Oh how great it would be to go back and see more.
And now there is the challenge after seeing and being a part of the Bible school in Slovakia, realizing the great work they do there and learning how God is being praised there, to decide my responsibility. God made me aware of it, now, what exactly am I to do with it? And on that, I will pray :)

3 comments:
How many potatoes would you estimate you ate while in Slovakia?
Isn't London Heathrow airport nuts-o... I didn't like going through there. But anywho... this looks amazing! It is so amazing how God is able to use us where ever we are and how His plan is so much greater than we could ever know. Love you cousin!
1. love your new blog look and name
2. picture are amazing! love the sheep one- nice work
3. must tell me more about jogging
4. you rock
Post a Comment