I was sitting in my Fluency class listening to class presentations... and during the discussion portion, my professor began talking about therapy for stuttering. She said -in order to change a behavior, you need to change the underlying attitude and beliefs. If a person's stuttering is compounded by anxiety and fear, working on the act of stuttering isn't very beneficial, BUT if you get to the root of it/if you are able to understand what the person's self-perceptions are and help with that, then better progress can be made. Really, fluency therapy is very complicated and individualized.. it's tricky, but what she said about treating the cause, not just the symptoms, that's important stuff.
So I thought about that for a second and then realized -I need to write that down because it relates to FAR more than just fluency therapy! It is a truth in all of us and how we act. Our attitudes determine our behavior.
No comments:
Post a Comment