Lately at work I've been teaching students idioms to increase their non-literal language skills and it's been fun -they're learning them and reminding me of them days later -hallelujah! One way I've been doing this is through a book that states an idiom and then illustrates the literal meaning of the expression. It's fun because they have to read the idiom, state what it means literally (in a grammatically correct sentence ofcourse), and then make a guess at the figurative meaning.. anyhow, there is one that has stumped most of the kids. It's a picture of an orchestra with members lifting up people in the audience -like crowd surfing.. and the idiom is that the music moved the audience. This resonants with some of the kids but I'm not sure if they've really experienced 'being moved'.... I, on the other hand, am a total sucker for being moved by music. I'll never forget the Christmas concert at my church two years ago with gorgeous instruments and singing -so good, so beautiful. Good lyrics and such melts my heart. With that said, Bethany Dillon who is just lovely, has a new CD out that I've been enjoying. Here is a glimmer of it.
I love her lyrics... and the other day while studying I was listening to her and was really moved by the lyrics from this song (written below). It was a beautiful and needed reminder of God's character of compassion, love, and grace for us, who are sinful and undeserving on our own. What radical news that Jesus takes us out of this and presents us as good and lovely before God.. giving us freedom from our crap. Truly amazing.
I cannot believe you are angry or unjust
You've done nothing but have compassion on us
So be near me when I've given up
Be near me
I believe you are good and righteous
You've given me your reckless love
So be near, be near...
No comments:
Post a Comment