I've been thinking about this verse a lot since last Sunday when it was the benediction at church. And thanks to my new ESV study Bible, I'm learning some good stuff. The commentary around this verse states that it is not just the absence of conflict/turmoil as we usually define it but the presence of blessing -especially regarding a right relationship with God. Christians have peace during hard times because peace comes from the Lord- the one who is righteous, sovereign, saving, who "will swallow up death forever" and "will wipe away" every tear, who alone is worthy of trust. Peace is not dependent on circumstances. It is rooted in the true God. And Isaiah points to the future when there will be a final victory over death. But until then, he gives our minds peace in thinking and knowing his character. Thinking about peace in this way is so good because it enlarges my view beyond myself. It reminds me that peace is set in God. We know the end of the story -salvation. Oh, how often I need to be reminded to think eternally.
So in thinking about the new year beginning and thinking of goals to be set, I really seek one thing. Peace in the midst of unknowns. Unknowns of if/when I should change my work setting, if/where to move, if/where to try new activities/volunteer, etc. And so much more than this really. This year I want to trust God, seek Him, and be bold to do what he wants me to do. I want to step out and act. Not sit and wait. Not waste time waiting for perfect directional plans, but be in movement, seeking God while doing it. In active trust, having peace and gaining joy knowing I'm in a place that pleases him. I want to look back at the year and see situations where things were not easy or great but where I got out of myself and focused on others and loved them.
1 comment:
Wow that is really good. Thanks Ang. And that scripture is certainly an encouragement to me right now. So glad that you are seeking true peace, you will be blessed. Love you!!
Post a Comment