Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Day of Green!



I really had no idea what the meaning behind Saint Patrick's Day was. I figured if I planned on partaking in the holiday tomorrow, I should figure it out. Ready?

St. Patrick was born in Roman Britain in AD 387. When he was 16 years old, he was captured and taken to Ireland. During his six years in Ireland as a captive, he became deeply religious When he returned to England he became a priest.

In his Declaration, he claimed that he had a vision in which the people of Ireland appealed to him to come and walk among them. He returned to Ireland and converted many people to Christianity. He cleverly incorporated the pagan beliefs of the day into his Christian teachings. He introduced and explained the concept of the Holy Trinity to his followers by using the Shamrock with its three leaves as symbol. He had to face a lot of opposition from his co-religionists, as he was not Irish.

(http://socyberty.com/holidays/why-do-we-celebrate-saint-patricks-day/)

No comments: